Wood Fired Oven

 One of my fondest memories, is of my family visting my grandparents one year for three whole months. My parents actually pulled us out of school from December to  March the year I was in grade 7. I remember one suitcase we brought over, was all school books, even our school instruments. I was 11 years old, the first time I saw my grandmother use the wood fired oven. All the planning, that went into that day, so that everything would go smoothly, and so no heat would be lost from the oven. I was to young to actually take notes, about how to heat up the oven, how much wood you needed, when the oven was hot enough, but I was fascinated at how it all worked, how warm the house was,  the smell in the air, and how most of our meals for that day came from the oven. Sadly there finally came a day, many years later, when both my grandmother's covered up their wood fired ovens, I guess they were tired from all those years of weekly baking, and cooking and heating up the oven. So when we put in our wood oven last summer I was over the moon, much to the dismay of some , who could not understand why on earth,  we would want a wood fired oven. I can't explain it really, if I am honest, I know that having a wood oven, is not a nessecity, like it was for my grandmother's and their mothers before them, for us it really is recreational and not so labor intensive as before.  But the taste and the smells from the oven are surely the same. After some trial and error, I can finally heat up the oven, and use it all day. This weekend was proof of that, I made, pizza, baked corn bread, and also managed to bake some lemon cookies in the oven. I must say I was quite proud of myself, and could not help but wonder, if somewhere, my grandmothers were proud of me to.

Comments

  1. Eu acho que sim, que as tuas avós só podem estar muito orgulhosas de ti. O texto que acabei de publicar também fala um pouco sobre isto. Parece que andamos em sintonia:) Ao contrário de ti, faço o meu pão na máquina ou amasso-o na Bimby e cozo-o no forno elétrico. O que fica mais parecido com o caseiro é o "artisan bread" (deves conhecer), mas a minha mãe tem um forno a lenha no quintal e o que é cozido lá fica realmente bem melhor. Um beijinho

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHH! You are being so mean to me! I am so jealous - yes, this calls for me to go to Confession now! LOL!

    Someday I will convince my husband to move back there, and I will live next door to you and get fat and happy with all the stuff you bake! (I will clean up after you and make you blankets, of course!)

    Love you - off to see if I can get 1/4 good as you in the kitchen

    Love you lots
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sou neta de Picoenses e temos lá no Pico a casa da minha avó que tem um forno de lenha que também me traz grandes recordações. Apesar dela ter vindo viver connosco desde que o meu avô morreu, e já lá vão muitos anos, sempre regressamos ao Pico nas férias grandes do Verão e usamos o forno de lenha da casa. Dantes, com ela viva,fazíamos pão de milho, bolo do tijolo e as rosquilhas que já publiquei no blog.Agora fazemos piza, pão com chouriço e pouco mais.
    O teu post fez-me recordar as saudades que tenho do cheiro que envolvia toda a cozinha,e de todas as cautelas à volta da preparação da massa, da temperatura do forno (que não era medida por termómetros, mas pelo saber de experiência feito).
    Interesting having similar memories!
    Beijinhos
    Patrícia

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother still uses her wood oven, and everything is so tasty when cooked there. Everybody joins in on the fun. Unfortunately neither my mom or me understand how to work it, so futurely it will probably go to waste!
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosa, I had never used,an oven , and my husband and I learned quickly,we have even made "Alcatra" in it. I was so nervous, and worried they would be raw or spoiled....they were fantastic. Patricia, acho giro , nos fazemos comidas direntes agora, no forno, "Pizza",certamente uma coisa que antigamente não se fazia no forno, mas assim, não se acaba totalmente com o usar do forno de lenha......jinhos e bom fim de semana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie