Blancmange (papinhas)

One of my very favorite books, is Little Women written by Louisa May Alcott. I think I was 10 or 11 the first time I read it. I fell in love with Jo and her sisters instantly. In chapter 5, Jo goes next door to visit Laurie, her neighbour. She takes him Blancmange, that her sister Meg makes :

“Here I am, bag and baggage,” she said briskly. “Mother sent her love, and was glad if I could do anything for you. Meg wanted me to bring some of her blanc-mange; she makes it very nicely, and Beth thought her cats would be comforting.”

“That looks too pretty to eat,” he said, smiling with pleasure, as Jo uncovered the dish, and showed the blanc-mange, surrounded by a garland of green leaves, and the scarlet flowers of Amy’s pet geranium.

“It isn’t anything, only they all felt kindly, and wanted to show it. Tell the girl to put it away for your tea; it’s so simple, you can eat it; and being soft, it will slip down without hurting your sore throat…”



I was intrigued to find out what Blancmange was, I remember thinking, it must be white (blanc) and wondered if it was at all similar to something my paternal grandmother made for us, a mixture, of flour, sugar and milk. She would make this for us when she visited us, my mother did not enjoy making papinhas (what we call them in portuguese), so it was something special my grandmother made. So I checked in one of my cookbooks (yes at ten, I already had cookbooks) and actually found a recipe for Blancmange, and it was exactly that, flour, milk and sugar, boiled into almost a pudding or custard.

This past week, I too like Laurie, have had a very sore throat, so what better to eat, than Blancmange. There is never a single time, that I make these, that I don´t think of my grandmother, she would make these papinhas for us with love, she is no longer with us, but the fact that I can make these and remember her, still make these very special. I am on the mend, thank you for your kinds messages, Diana




3 tablespoons cornstarch ( or 6 tablespoons flour, papinhas will be much thicker)
4 tablespoons granulated sugar (or to your liking)
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk

In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch, sugar, and salt with 1/4 cup of  milk in a bowl (nice and smooth)
In a small pot, heat the remaining milk over low heat (Do not boil!).
When the milk comes up to a simmer, slowly add the cold milk mixture to the heated milk, stirring/whisking constantly. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly to avoid lumps until mixture begins to thicken. Almost before it boils really, you may just start to get, some large bubbles, you just want to get rid of the raw taste of the cornstarch. Pour into a big plate. or little plates. I like mine sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

Comments

  1. Diana, fico contente por estares melhor. Adorei o teu post, pois identifiquei-me com a forma como em criança também já apreciavas as passagens dos livros relacionadas com comida. Para além disso, tal como tu, as comidas também me fazem lembrar a minha avó, que também já não tenho. A minha avó fazia umas parecidas, com farinha de milho, que eu adorava. Curiosamente, na gravidez, dava-me desconsolo dessas papas e era a minha mãe quem mas fazia. Um beijinho

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your're feeling better already.
    Cá em casa temos o costume de fazer este tipo de papas, mas de maizena, às quais adicionamos Nesquik. Normalmente, e para além da tradicional «chicken soup», é o que comemos quando estamos doentinhos e sem apetite.
    Bjs
    patrícia

    ReplyDelete
  3. obrigada amigas, já me sinto muito melhor,Ilídia avó do meu marido, da Fonte do Bastardo,fazia umas papinhas amarelas de farinha de milho, muito boas, Patrícia papinhas de Nesquik, deve ser muito bom, acho que vou fazer para os meus filhotes.....Bjos, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back!

    MR S...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're feeling better!
    I used to eat "papinhas", too, specially while at university. It was easy and not a lot to think about when tests knocked on our door!When I lived in Germany, my housemates used to ask me to make them some "paapás"! It was so funny to hear them pronouce it!
    beijinhos, rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. On a day like today, when I'm not feeling very well, I think papinhas will be my supper. Thank you for sharing this recipe ... and for the warm memories it brought back of my grandmother. xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie