Plum Chutney

Chutney  a sweet and sour condiment, like a relish, originating from India. Chutney contains fruit and sugar to give it a sweet taste, and vinegar and onions to give it a sour flavor. The ingredients are mixed together and then simmered slowly. There are many variations of spices, giving it a hot and spicy flavor too. It's fantastic, with meats and cheeses, for dinner or a snack. This one came out perfect, it was something, that was on my "culinary to try list", I am glad I finally made some, it was fantastic with the pork chops we had for dinner. I think I may make some for Christmas, to give as gifts, and keep some for ourselves.



shallots, red plums, sugar, cinnamon sticks, olive oil and vinegar

chop up the plums, removing the pits, and leaving the skins on

slice up the shallots

sauté the shallots in olive oil

add the sugar, vinegar, water and cinnamon sticks ( because I am a rebel I added in some cloves, and a cup of dried cranberries)

stir till fruit is soft and mixture is slightly thickened 15-20 mins.

spoon into hot sterilized jars

I served the Plum Chutney with Pork Chops, it was delicious


Plum Chutney

1 kilo red plums
4-5 shallots
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
200 ml vinegar
6 tablespoons water
4-5 cinnamon sticks
200 grams brown sugar ( I used white....thats what I had)

**** I also added some cloves 9-10, and 1 cup dried cranberries.
**** I think some ginger would also be fantastic, and some golden raisins


Cut up the plums, removing the stones, but leaving the skins on.
Chop up the shallots, and sauté in a heavy bottom pan for about 5 mins, just until soft.
Next add in the plums, water, vinegar, sugar, and cinnamon sticks ( and anything else you might like to add).
Stir till sugar is dissolved, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, till fruit is soft, and mixture thickens up.
When ready, spoon into hot, sterilized jars, seal with lid and let cool completely.

Enjoy !



xo, Diana

Comments

  1. Gostei muito do teu chutney. Agora é só puxar pela imaginação e aplicá-lo em pratos que forem surgindo na cozinha.Uma sugestão bem interessante.
    Bj
    Patrícia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie