Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie

I baked this apple pie yesterday, for a friend. Recently he had mentioned, that apple pie was one of his favorite desserts. We were invited over for dinner last night, by his lovely wife,  I offered to bring dessert, and surprised them with this apple pie. You will have to excuse the lack of step by step pictures, I am not lying when, I tell you, I put this apple pie together in 10 minutes  I felt like I was on  the TV show Chopped.  It's the apple pie I have been baking , well since I started baking apple pies, the recipe is from one of my very favorite cookbooks The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. A cookbook that I have had for a very long time, and the one I go to for alot of my baking.  It's a quick and easy pie to make, and tastes wonderful with a scoop two scoops of vanilla ice cream.








Apple Pie

Basic dough for 9" 2 crust pie
3/4 - 1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tbls flour
6-8 large, firm, tart apples (about 10 cups)
2 tbls butter

Preheat over to 220/425. Line a pie plate with half the pastry dough. Mix the sugar, salt cinnamon, nutmeg and flour in a large bowl. Peel, core and slice apples and toss them in the sugar mixture, coating them well. Pile them into the lined pan and dot with butter. Roll out the top crust and drape it over the pie. Crimp the edges and cut several vents in the top. Bake 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 180/350 and bake 30-40 minutes more or until the apples are tender when pierced with a skewer and the crust is browned.


xo, Diana

Comments

  1. Looks delicious!!!
    Já foste visitar a Patrícia na sua casa nova? http://foodwithameaning.wordpress.com/

    Beijos e bom feriado.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite pie recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets