Bacon and Lentil Soup

I have a confession to make...uhm...this was the first time I ever ate lentils ! Shocking I know...and I really have no clue as to what took me so long to try them. This soup was delicious ( might have something to do with the bacon ) and real fast to make. In 30 minutes it was ready to serve for dinner, and the hubby and I enjoyed it very much.The wonderful  Mr.G had the light version sans creme fraiche and sans parmesan cheese, grated on top. You all know I went for all the toppings, go big or go home, I say !




2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
2 slices of bacon, finely chopped
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
¾ cup (150g)  lentils
1.25 litres (5 cups) chicken stock
Sea salt and cracked black pepper

Finely grated parmesan and sour cream, to serve

Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the oil, onion, bay leaves and bacon and cook for 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
Add the thyme, lentils and stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils start to break down.
Stir in salt and pepper.

Ladle between bowls and top with parmesan and sour cream to serve.


Source Donna Hay

Comments

  1. This looks delicious! I've only made lentils twice- loved them, but always forget about them! Can you buy actual creme fraiche here? I would love it if i could find it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie