A Lesson in Faith


If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. ~St. Francis of Assisi




I am sad and angry, our beautiful dog was hit by a driver yesterday, and left to die on the road. I do not know how someone, could hit an animal, and not even stop to knock on our door, and let us know. We are the only house on the street, it's not like they had to pick and choose who she might belong to. I cannot understand how someone could have such disregard for a life. This poor animal, literally found us,  about 3 weeks ago, she was a stray, who was hungry, thirsty and dirty. We fed her, gave her water, and most of all gave her her love. I like to think that the short time she did spend with us, she knew she had a family that would take care of her. I suppose what I struggled most with was having to tell our children , what had happened and why their four legged friend was not waiting for them, when the school bus dropped them off, at the end of the day. My wonderful Mr. G, who arrived home before them suggested a "white lie", her owners had come for her. I told him, the truth was better, as it would not be fair to lie to them. Sure enough, once they were home they asked "where is Çissa?",  with a huge lump in my throat, I had to tell them. Amidst lots of their tears, I told them that she had been lucky to find us, and that she knew they loved her. Simon our youngest, wiped some big fat tears rolling down his face, and manged to say " it's okay you know, now our sister Emma can play with her in heaven".  I was in awe of his words,  his grace and  his faith at the ripe old age of 6, I said "thats very true Simon, they will play together now".  You do learn something everyday, and sometimes, it´s our children doing the teaching.

xo,Diana

Comments

  1. As crianças conseguem sempre ver algo de positivo em muitas coisas que os adultos não vêem. Custa ter de lhes mostrar a realidade cruel mas sou da mesma opinião que tu, a verdade é sempre melhor e mais simples de se ouvir. Muitos beijinhos para vocês!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tive o prazer de fazer umas festinhas à Çissa no passado sábado, antes de me abrires a porta. Parecia um doce, realmente. Diana, o que retenho deste post são as palavras do teu Simon. Uma ternura, o teu filho. Um beijo, querida. E outro para os teus meninos.
    Ilídia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana,

    Sempre visitei o seu cantinho mas nunca comentei.
    Tenho muita pena da cadela mas infelizmente à pessoas assim que simplesmente não querem saber acham-se os donos do mundo.
    Acredito que as suas crianças tenham sofrido muitos mas como o seu mais novo lhe disse ela está no céu :).

    Tudo de bom para todos, bjs

    http://acasadagigis.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes children seem so much smarter and faith-filled than we adults! Ah, to have the faith of a child!

    You are in my heart and thoughts!
    K

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie