Boca Negra Broth

Today, I bought these two beautiful Boca Negra, at the fish market, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. After all the eating, drinking, and more eating during the holiday season, I wanted something, light, and cleansing for lunch, a broth of sorts, and the fish poached in it. So that is what I did, with some very simple ingredients. Now keep in mind, this is one of those "by eye" recipes, no real "rules" to follow. But I am sure, you will get the jest of it. I ended up using, some of the broth, to pour over some day old bread, I sliced thinly, and placed in a little tureen.

fish from the ocean, caught locally, and the green onions & parsley from our garden







2 Boca Negra ( you could use snapper, or red fish, or grouper)
bunch of parsley
3-4 green onions
2-3 cloves minced
coarse salt
olive oil
water/ white wine  (2-1)
tomato puree


I chopped the parsley, and green onions (all of it) real coarse ( used some scissors ala' Nigella lawson), and minced some garlic.
In a large pot (big enough for your fish), I heated up some olive oil, and added the green onions, parsley, and  minced garlic, and sauteed them.  You just want it to start smelling like garlic, and everything is golden almost.
Now salt your fish, on the outside and inside, lightly, and add it to the pot, give the pot a good stir, and now add in enough  hot water to just come up to the fish,  for mine I used about 2 cups, water and one cup white wine.  I also added some tomato, puree, about 3 tablespoons. Again give the pot a good stir, and cover with a lid, let everyting come to a boil, and cook for about 15-20 minutes. The fish is done when it is opaque, and white,  and it will start to flake.

Because, I had some day old bread, I decided to slice it very thinly, layer it in a little tureen, and laddle most of the broth over the bread. Just enough so that it all gets absorbed by the bread. This broth is also lovely just ladled into a mug, or bowl, to be sipped on.


* you could also sauté, onions, red peppers, crushed tomatoes, in with the parsley
* you could serve this with some potatoes and salad too

xo,Diana

Comments

  1. Sabes o que acabei de publicar? Uma açorda de alho :) Hoje, parece que andamos as duas viradas para as sopinhas no pão :)
    Beijos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie