Red Onion Jam

Oh the wonderful aroma, in my kitchen this morning........
I made some red onion jam, I do not know why I waited so long to make this. I just always thought it would be more complicated to make. But it isn´t,  I suppose the hardest part is the crying.......while slicing the onions. I used my mandoline, perhaps its cheating, but it just makes it quicker. The jam was not even finished and I was already imagining some spread on a hamburger, or in a turkey sandwich. After placing this lovely ruby colored, sticky mixture into one little magical jar, I managed to save a little spoonful for moi. I had it on top of some Brie cheese ....I cannot tell a lie.......it was sooooo good.

ingredients

thinly slice the onions

sauté in the olive oil for about 10 mins (please excuse this and the next 3 very crappy pictures, this camera, and heat do not mix well)

add the brown sugar, salt, pepper, and thyme, cook and stir for about 15 mins.

add in the vinegars

simmer and stir, for another 15 -20 minutes


the cooks treat

I think this jam will be a wonderful, Christmas gift


Red Onion Jam

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 large red onions, finely sliced
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry thyme




1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed frypan, and saute the onions gently over medium heat until softened about 10 minutes.

2. Add the brown sugar,  salt, pepper and thyme, stir to dissolve and continue to cook uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.

3. Add the vinegars and stirring once and a while, simmer for a further 20 minutes or so, until mixture is slightly thickened.

4. Bottle into a sterilised jar and seal while hot.


Store in refrigerator after opening, and consume within 2 weeks.


xo, Diana

Comments

  1. Nunca provei Diana mas imagino a delicia e o cheirinho que por aí ia humm

    beijinhos e obrigada por partilhares!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tried but is one of my gifts to prepare for Christmas!!!

    Kisses,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. ola amigas.....digo-vos uma coisa...vale apena fazer....ficou mesmo muito bom....imaginava que era mais complicado de fazer....e afinal, é facil.....bjos Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faz uma prenda bonita sim senhora. A última foto está magnífica, parece foto de profissional ;)

    Beijinhos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie