A Dream

So how does a Canadian girl, end up living on an island, in the Azores ? My mother and father are both from the Azores, from the island of Terceira. They married, and moved to Toronto,Canada in the early 70´s. It is there, they start a family, I am the oldest of four children. We visited my mothers family in the Azores, many times during my childhood, this is a wonderful gift I can never thank my father enough for. As early as six, I can remember telling people, I wanted to move to the Azores, they thought it was cute. By the time I was twelve, I was still saying I wanted to move to the Azores, everyone would roll their eyes, and ask why would you want to do that ? That is something I could never explain, it was just a feeling, something that felt right. But how do you know that at six or twelve ? Can you move somewhere just because, the smell of the ocean is intoxicating, and as blue as sapphires ? Can you move somewhere, just because the fields are as green as emeralds, and life is still quiet and slow ?? Surely at 18 you can't want that for your self, quiet and slow ??? I did.

The summer of 1992, during my vacation, in the Azores, I met a very sweet, kind boy, who made my heart flutter. I kindly told this boy, we could only be friends, because he deserved to meet someone who already lived on his island, and not a Canadian girl, who still hadn't figured out exactly how and when she would move to the island. The sweet young boy, said don´t worry, I will wait for you............and he did.

We married in 1997, had an island wedding, in the chapel my parents were married in, before they moved to Canada. I am sure my parents never thought, a child of theirs would, come right back, to where they started from. A full circle.

This is a very sweet, short version, of the ups and downs of how I actually ended up on this little island, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Time has a way of smoothing out rough edges and softening raw emotions. Thats a very good thing, I could not enjoy my life now, if I were to dwell upon, the not so nice people I encountered along the way. I suppose in the end, they deserve my thanks, they just made me work for it a little bit harder. There were of course, people who were wonderful about supporting this crazy dream of mine, to them I am grateful, I believe they are happy for me. I owe a very special thanks, to the very sweet, kind boy, who decided to wait for me, he has made life on the island even more special :) I am very blessed to be living my dream.


Comments

  1. Beautiful and emotional!!!!
    I read about your dream and it makes me want to 'dream more' and work a bit harder for all my dreams to come true :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nate, I can't explain it, it´s something I knew real young, I wanted, and I just never gave up on it. You wait and see friend, your dreams will come true, you just have to never give up :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie