Irish Cream Chocolate Cake

My wonderful Mr.G, celebrated another birthday this weekend ! I think since we have been married, I have baked him a cake every year. I like to try and make a different flavored cake every year, usually with something he loves ! So seeing as we have so many strawberries, that's what I went with. Mr.G loves..loves chocolate dipped strawberries ! The rest of the cake, just came together like a puzzle. Bits and pieces that I thought would work. I will try and walk you through my madness ! I was in the kitchen all afternoon, and yes there are alot of steps...but...Mr.G is worth it ! I am pleased to say, he loved it....mission accomplished !














the cake : ( found here)



1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 (4-ounce) package chocolate instant pudding mix
4 large eggs
1/2 cup Irish Cream (I used Baileys Hazelnut)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup vegetable oil


Preheat oven to180// 350 degrees F . Spray 2 9 inch round cake pans with Baker’s Joy or grease and flour.

Combine all cake ingredients together in a large bowl and beat at medium mixer speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not over-bake.
Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire rack.
 Remove from pans and finish cooling on racks.


Filling : ** chocolate frosting I had left over from my son's bday cake, and yes you could frost the cake with this.


1/2 melted butter
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup milk ( I use coffee)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix melted butter and cocoa, add the icing sugar, coffee and vanilla, beat till fluffy.


Chocolate Ganache :  enough to fill and frost the cake !


3 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 c heavy cream
1/2 c Bailey's Irish Cream

Place chocolate chips in a medium heatproof bowl.
Pour the heavy cream in a small saucepan and heat until scalding. Pour cream over the chocolate chips, and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until chips are melted and the cream is mixed in. Stir in the Irish cream.
Let cool. ( I place mine in an ice bath, and stir away, till it looks like pudding texture)

**** you can use this ganache for the filling****


To Assemble: 


Once the cakes are cooled, even out the top of each layer so that it is flat by using a large knife.
Place the first layer on a plate or cake stand.
Spread a layer of  chocolate filling ( or the ganache) on the top. Place the other cake on top.

*** you could do more layers....I was not that brave, and did not want the layers to crack !

To frost, pour a large amount of ganache on the top and then (help it along) spread it from the center to the edges, allowing excess ganache to go over the edge and onto the side of the cake.
Then add more ganache (as much as needed)...the more the merrier !

 ** feel free to use a knife to "frost" the cake if you like...I just let mine run down the sides.

Top with chocolate covered strawberries ( from here )


Comments

  1. You killed me with this one Diana! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lloollls Manuela....este aqui é mesmo um pecado ! bjos

      Delete
  2. oh yeah! Mr G is definitely worth it! Love those boys of ours!!!!

    Happy Birthday to G

    blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes our boys are worth it Karen :) Hugs and Kisses all around ! xo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie