Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows

Although I no longer live in Canada, I still love to celebrate Canadian thanksgiving with my family. The 20 years I have lived on the island, I don´t think we have never not celebrated it. It is certainly now a part of our traditions and our children's memories. I think even if I tried not to, our kids would not let it slide.There are dishes I have to make for them, mac&cheese, pumpkin pie and glazed carrots are a must. Yesterday for our tiny thanksgiving lunch I added this side dish, and it was a hit! It's a  sweet potato casserole seasoned with a little cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with marshmallows. Let's be real here, this could almost pass for dessert...think- pie without a crust , but it’s a veggie dish. It's simple to make, it's delicious and I promise you will love it!









2½ pounds sweet potatoes (4 medium), peeled and cubed
4 tablespoons margarine
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
1 (10-ounce) bag marshmallows


1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9- x 9-inch baking dish.

2. Cover potatoes with water in a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.

3. Drain well and return to the pot. Add margarine, egg, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mash with a fork or potato masher until slightly chunky. Stir in pecans if using.

4. Transfer to greased  baking dish and smooth top. Cover with marshmallows and bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.

*** you may add 1/3 cup of brown sugar if you like
recipe source 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie