Pumpkin Scones

Over the weekend, my Facebook "on this day" memories, were kind enough to remind me that I had given these pumpkin scones a try last year. I was also reminded that it went terribly wrong, and that's why I never added them to the blog. They tasted really great, but they were difficult to make, the dough was really wet, and kneading it was a doozy. I however am not a quitter, and decided to give these babies a try again, with some little tweaks, and this time they were a success!





Pumpkin Scones

Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour ( I added an extra 1/2 cup)
¼ cup plus 3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon ( I used 1 teaspoon)
½ tsp ground nutmeg ( I used 1teaspoon)
¼ tsp ground cloves ( I used 1/2 teaspoon)
¼ tsp ground ginger ( I used 1/2 teaspoon)
6 tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes ( I used 1/2 cup cold butter)
½ cup canned pumpkin
3 tbsp half-and-half ( I used  full fat cold cream)
1 large egg (cold)

Powdered Sugar Glaze:
1 cup plus 1 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk

Spiced Glaze:
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk
1/8-1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground ginger
Pinch of ground cloves


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
In a large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients (including sugar)
Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half-and-half and egg
Gradually fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a ball is formed
On a well-floured surface, flatten and form the dough into a 12” x 4” x 1” thick rectangle and cut into triangles. ( I cut the dough in half, patted out 2 circles, and cut triangles)
Place triangles on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until light brown

Let cool before icing
Make the powdered sugar glaze by mixing the milk and sugar until smooth, then dip the scones into the glaze, let dry completely

While the first glaze is drying, make the spiced glaze by combining all ingredients and mixing until smooth.Drizzle onto the scones


Recipe source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie