Chicken Cheese Broccoli Braid

A friend of mine shared this recipe with me a couple of weeks ago, and I can't thank her enough for it ! It was a big hit with my family, I have made it I think once a week, since she gave me the recipe. So quick to make, and really very pretty too. It is great hot or cold, and so very versatile. I think you could mix and match the fillings to your own likings, and it would still be a winner. The orginal recipe uses crescent rolls,Pillsbury, this brand is not found here, but I was quite pleased when I used something similar I found at my grocery store. I think puff pastry would also be smashing used here. I really..really hope you give this a try !





I loved..loved it with this mango chutney !!




2 cups coarsely chopped cooked chicken (usually 2-3 chicken breasts)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli (cooked)
2 cups  shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2  cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 egg , lightly beaten
2 cans crescent rolls ( not something we have here, found something similar )




Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Combine broccoli, chicken, bell pepper, cheese, mayonnaise, dill, pressed garlic and salt in a bowl; mix well.

 On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, spread both cans of crescents length wise to form a long rectangle. Press each of the seams to form a single layer of dough.

Spread filling evenly over center of dough.

To braid, lift dough strips across filling to meet in center, twisting each strip one turn.
Continue alternating strips to form a braid. Tuck ends up to seal at end of braid. Brush egg  over dough.  Bake 25-28 minutes or until deep golden brown.


*** I think puff pastry would work well too
**** changing up the chicken for ham....the broccoli for leeks..etc...I think a number of fillings and seasonings would work really well here.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie