All you Knead is.....Rye Soda Bread

I have been under the weather lately...lots of things on my mind. Almost like a noise, a constant buzzing. Somethings are totally out of my hands, some others have just left me so perplexed, and confused, and I am not quite sure how to fix them. So I have been going over things, in my head, over and over again. Trying to get rid of the noise, that has left me somewhat, unbalanced. Yesterday, the search for calm, led me to my old faithful friend, my kitchen. I just wanted to make some bread, some people like yoga, I like baking bread. It just seems to calm me down, bring me into a very quiet, place. There is something about kneading the dough,  that is soothing.  And the smell of freshly baked bread in the kitchen, that is just magical ! This is a very simple, very rustic loaf of bread, with very few ingredients. It bakes up quickly, smells divine, and slathered with butter, just hits the spot. This bread doesn't come with bells and whistles, it's not a show stopper, but it is keeper. Great with soup, or cheese or cold cuts. The kids did not really care for it, but Mr. G and I really loved it, I hope you do too.  As for the noises in my head, they are still there..somethings just take time, I suppose.





Rye Soda Bread


2 1/3 cups rye flour
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (+more for dusting and kneading)
1 3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk ( or sour milk~ 2 cups milk + 2Tbsp. vinegar)

1. Preheat the oven to190//400F with a rack in the middle of the oven
2. Sift the flours. baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
3. Make a well in the flour and pour in the buttermilk. Stir just until everything comes together into a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured countertop and knead for 30 sec or so, just long enough for the dough to come together.
4. Lightly flour a baking sheet and place the ball of dough on the flour.  Sprinkle generously with flour.
5. Slice 2 deep slashes across the top of the dough, just be careful not to slice all the way through.
6. Bake for about 40 min,  or until a hard crust forms and the bread is baked through. It will feel very solid and sound hollow when you knock on its base. 
7. Cool on a wire rack.




xo, Diana

Comments

  1. Ask mr. G to sing a song to you, so the bad noises will go away.
    Kisses
    Lília

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Lília....that is a wonderful idea :):)...Beijos

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie