Christmas Fruitcake

Can you believe it's the last week of November and that we are coming up on Christmas again? I must admit, I am already a bit excited about it, it's by far my most favorite time of the year. I can't tell you how many times over the years, I have wanted to share this recipe with you, but by the time I got  around to actually baking my cake and wanting to post the recipe, Christmas had already passed. So this year I am finally adding it here, the pictures are from last year, because I am no where ready for the holidays, and  because life happens, I will probably only bake this cake the night before Christmas,again this year. I know that alot of people can't stand fruit cake, but you see I married a man who loves it! Yes Mr. G is the reason I bake this cake every year, I will not judge the man for loving candied fruit, he's just lucky he is cute! Truth be told, I really do not like anything with candied fruit in it, but this cake I will eat. Lord know's I sure have alot of fun making it, a shot of Grand Marnier for the cake, two for me  hiccup! and I always end up wondering where on the food pyramid this boozy cake batter belongs! I promise, that if you  decide to bake this, you will become  a fruitcake convert this Christmas!












500g of flour
500g of sugar
250g butter (I like salted)
6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
3 heaping teaspoons baking powder
zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 shot glass of port wine
1 shot glass of  aguardente
500g of chopped candied fruit
125 g of chopped walnuts
150 ml of molasses
2 jams of your choice, of which you will use 2 tablespoons from one, and another 2 tablespoons from the other
extra flour for dusting candied fruit

To prepare:
Preheat the oven, 180//350
Mix the candied fruits and walnuts with some flour in a bowl ( you want them all dusted with flour)
 In a very large bowl , the largest you have, cream the butter and the sugar.
 Next add in the egg yolks and continue beating. Add in the jams, molasses, lemon zest, booze, spices, fruits and nuts. Give it a good mix. Next sift in, both the flour and the baking powder together.
Giving it a good mix, batter will be very thick. Now in a separate bowl, beat the egg whites till nice and firm. Then gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
Next choose your pan(s), you can use loaf pans, round tins, tube pans, your choice. I usually make one round 9 inch tin, and a bit leftover for a loaf tin. You must flour and butter your tins, and for tins with no hole, parchment paper is a must.
Next fill your tins, a little over 3/4 full, it's a heavy cake, and won't rise to much. Your baking time will vary depending on your cake tins, my large tin usually takes, 1 hour and 15 minutes, when I bake loaves, 40 minutes is just right. So check at 40 minutes, or when it starts to smell like cake in your kitchen!

notes:
*the earlier you make this cake the better, but I have made it the day before Christmas, and it's still yummy
* I like to use fig jam for the full 4 tablespoons
* no aguardente, no worries, I always use Grand Marnier
* I seldom use the walnuts
* for decorating I like to use fondant, but a dusting of icing sugar works just fine too!



Este bolo deve ser feito com pelo menos 8 dias de antecedencia.
Para conservar durante o tempo de repouso deve ser embrulhado em papel vegetal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie