Old Fashioned Jelly Roll

We are still in the depths of winter, and the island has been grey and windy. Today it rained all day, and I have been dreaming about summer. Right now the only thing close to summer, is the many jars of jam and jelly I have in the hutch in my kitchen. I went looking through the jars today, and way in the back, found a jar of grape jam. It made me really happy, funny how a jar of jam can do that, it reminded me of late August, and it's lazy afternoons. I decided to bake something, I haven't made in a very long time..in fact way too long, a simple jelly roll. It turned out lovely, warmed up the kitchen, and put some smiles on our faces.







3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon  Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Jam  - flavor is your choice, ( I used grape)
confectioners' sugar/ or sugar


Instructions:

Mix together flour, Baking Powder and salt. In a small bowl beat together eggs and sugar until well mixed and lemon-colored and thick. Add vanilla. Stir in flour and mix until well combined.

Spread batter into a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan/ cookie sheet with sides, that has been lined with parchment paper (waxed paper would work well also), then greased or sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake in a preheated  205//400 degree F. oven for about 12 to 15 minutes. When cake is done, immediately turn out onto tea towel that has been sprinkled with confectioners' sugar. Remove paper from cake, cut off crisp edges and roll up the short side. ( Roll in the towel) Cool on wire rack.

When cake is cooled, unroll and spread cake with jam or preserves. Re-roll and sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Canja de Galinha