Sopas Fritas

These are perfect for a rainy day, and a great way to use up stale bread. I grew up with my mom making these, usually on the weekend for an afternoon treat or to top off dinner when dinner was leftovers,  and sometimes they were dinner. Very similar to a french toast or a pain perdu, the batter is different though, it has flour added to it. They are shallow fried, and then sprinkled with sugar. My mom has always made them with sliced white bread, that's how I make them too. Tradtionally though, they would be made with sliced rustic bread. These are lovely with some coffee or with a spot of tea, they take a little time to make, but are well worth it.








1 3/4  cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 cups of milk
pinch of salt

sliced stale/ day old bread (about 20 slices)

oil for frying
sugar for topping

In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, eggs milk and pinch of salt, until you get a smooth batter (I use my emersion blender).

Get your bread ready, slice it, or if you are using sliced white bread, slice those in half ( you don't have to but it I find it is easier to fry smaller pieces of bread)

Next in a large frying pan heat about 2 inches of oil, over medium- high heat. (oil is ready when a little cube of bread browns). Also have a large baking sheet set aside, lined with some paper towels on it. (Once the sopa fritas fry they can sit there so all the extra oil comes off).

Next dip both sides of the bread slices in the batter mixture ( I use my hands), not soaking them, but making sure they are well battered. Quickly add the slices to the hot oil,  fry in  small batches ( I do about 4 slices at a time)  and fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove from the frying pan and drain them on the paper towels on the baking sheet. ***You may have to lower the heat a bit for the next batches or cook slices in less time since temperature will be higher as the oil tends to get hotter, adjust the heat as you go.

When they are all fried, add some sugar into a large bowl ( about 1cup) and dredge the sopas fritas in the sugar.

Serve the sopas fritas warm or at room temperature and enjoy!

NOTES:

* I always make these by myself, it is doable, I just set up a sort of work station at my stove, as I go along, using one hand for dipping the bread, and the other for frying them, that said, two people makes this alot easier to do!

* before you know it, your frying pan/oil will be full of tiny droplets of the batter, these are drips that fall off the bread when you add the slices to the frying pan, these will start to burn, and tend to stick to the sopas fritas,  I use a little spoon to scoop them out every so often, in between frying batches.

** this makes quite a large platter of Sopas Fritas, I get about 40 (half slices of white bread)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie