Sweet and Sour Chicken

 I hope you are all enjoying your summer so far! Ours is going really well, despite the lack of sunshine, we have plenty of humidity....hurray humidity..said no one ever! I am not gonna lie, as much as I love cooking, once the summertime hits, I seem to hit a road block. I just struggle with what to cook for my family. There is only so much BBQ one can eat, and grilling when its hot and muggy, is just not fun. My kids seem to being eating every 15 minutes these days, Lord bless them, but why are they always hungry? We pretty much have an agreement, that breakfast and lunch they fend for themselves! Don´t you judge me, I am busy washing all the towels they use and leave hanging around, after going in the pool for 5 minutes, every hour, every day! Yes we are going broke feeding them, and yes my house looks like I lost a game of Jumanji, but I would not have it any other way, love that we all get to be home together, well except for Mr.G, someone has to work around here! So on too dinner, this chicken was awesome, high fives all around the table, and no leftovers! Super easy to make, and basic ingredients to make a stellar meal !






For the sauce
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup pineapple juice ( you could use orange juice)
juice of 1 large orange (didn´t use)
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons minced ginger( didn´t have any)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cornstarch

For the chicken
handful of chopped scallions/green onions
sesame seeds
1 lb. chicken tenderloins (about 1 package) (I used 500g chicken breast)
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil (or more)
salt/pepper/garlic powder

For the sauce
Mix the water and cornstarch in a bowl and set aside. Should be a white color, resembling milk. This is your thickening slurry.
Add the remaining ingredients to a sauce pan, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a medium-low and stir in the slurry. Let it simmer for 10 minutes, stir frequently. If your sauce is too thick, thin it out with some pineapple juice.

For the chicken
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Season with salt, garlic powder and pepper to liking.
Set up your dipping station by whisking the eggs in a bowl and adding the cornstarch/flour mixture to a plate.
Heat the oil in a large pan of medium heat. Once the oil is hot, dip the chicken in the egg then cornstarch/flour mix. Shake any excess flour and place into pan. Using tongs, flip over after 3 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
Transfer chicken to a plate coated with paper towels. Once the sauce is finished, gently combine the sauce and chicken to coat the pieces completely. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions. Serve over  rice or noodles!

***I did all my dipping and dredging before, all at once, and then fried.



recipe found here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie