Chilled Shrimp

Happy New Year dear readers, I hope you all had a lovely Christmas break! Hard to believe that today was the first Monday of 2016. I managed to get everyone out the door this morning on time, hubby back to work, and the kiddos back to school. I confess the house was so very still and quiet after the hustle and bustle of the last two weeks. Here is the part where I could say, I cleaned the house, took control of all the chaos that is left from the christmas break, that it´s all spic and span now.....brace yourselves...it's not ! I spent the day in my jammies, watched two weeks worth of my tv shows, and refused to clean. Alright I did two loads of laundry, but that was it. Do I feel bad ? Nope not one little bit, I was a busy bee during the holidays, and just needed to rest up.  With that being said, I do have some wonderful recipes to share with you, of the foods I served up at our holiday parties. The first one is this great chilled shrimp, portuguese people love their seafood. I made a large platter of this shrimp for our annual NYE party. It is really easy to prepare, and is always a favorite at our table.



these were 30/40 shrimp per kilo

these were larger, 20/30 per kilo





10 cups water
2 lemons sliced
4-5 dried bay leaf
1 teaspoon jamaican whole allspice
Coarse  sea salt

large shrimp (16 to 20),
Ice cubes


Bring water, lemon slices, and bay leaves, and allspice to a boil, covered, in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Raise heat to high, and return water to a boil. Add shrimp; cook until bright pink and opaque, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Immediately transfer shrimp to a rimmed baking sheet using a slotted spoon; cover with ice, and let chill. Once shrimp are completely cooled, move to a serving platter, cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.

***this is just a basic guideline,just make sure the pot is big enough to hold all your shrimp and fill it with a lot of water. Generously salt the water, and  add aromatics, lemon slices, peppercorns,  onions, or even fresh parsley.







Comments

  1. I love this blog!! And especially the fotos!!
    I dedicated a short post to Sete Cidades (Azores), a perfect place for a hike…with a scary factor! ;) I hope you like the read!
    http://paulinaontheroad.blogspot.com.es/2016/01/sete-cidades-hike-with-scary-factor.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie