Passion Fruit Pavlova

Today I decided to conquer a kitchen fear of mine, the Pavlova. I confess that meringues are not my best thing, whether I follow a recipe or not, I find they always fail. That being said, I have always wanted to make a pavlova, in books and in magazines they always look so pretty.   Pavlova when done right, has a crisp shattering shell, and a soft, gooey marshmallow inside. To contrast the crunchy, sweet meringues, the dessert is usually topped with whipped cream and fruit. I must toot my own horn here, these were amazing, I did a happy dance as I served them. I topped mine with passion fruit, it was a great combination, tart, and sweet in one bite. The beauty of this recipe, all the ingredients start off in the same bowl...yes that´s right all dumped into one bowl, then beaten into billowy meringues. I won't lie, I thought, how in the heck will that work...but it did.  So very easy to make, all you need is a mixer, and some patience while the pavlova bakes. So are you ready to make some Pavlova ?








2 egg whites
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla/ almond essence
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp white vinegar
4 tbs boiling water




Preheat oven to moderate (180 degrees).

Draw a 20cm circle onto a sheet of baking paper and place on an oven tray.

Put all ingredients into a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until very stiff (about 10-15 minutes).When you pull the beaters out, the mixture should stand up in stiff peaks..

Spoon mixture onto prepared tray and flatten slightly at top.

Bake 10 minutes and then reduce heat to slow (160 degrees) cooking for a further 45 minutes.

Turn oven off and allow pavlova to cool in oven.

Once cool, top with whipped cream and fruit.


*Whipped Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chill the clean bowl of a stand mixer and the whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes. Add all of the ingredients to the bowl and whisk on high speed until medium peaks form, about 1 minute. (Alternatively, you can use a hand whisk and a large chilled bowl. Whisk all of the ingredients until medium peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes.) Serve immediately.



*** For best volume, egg whites must be room temperature.
*** Bowl/beaters must be scrupulously clean
*** do not use a plastic bowl
*** you can also make mini ones instead of one large one
*** this recipe doubles nicely
*** use a tiny bits of meringue to "stick" the baking paper to the tray







recipe source


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie