Clam Chowder

A couple of years ago, my handsome hubby, went to California leaving me behind with the kiddos for a two week business trip. When he returned, he could not stop talking about a wonderful clam chowder he had eaten at the Old Fisherman's Grotto restaurant in Monterey. So I set out to make some chowder for him, and I am glad I did. This chowder is out of this world, pure comfort food! This makes a really big pot of chowder, so maybe invite some friends over for dinner when you make it. I made bread bowls to serve the chowder in, but good ol' bowls are just fine. If you wanted bread bowls, but not the trouble of baking them, order some at your local bakery. Now, it must be said, when you look at the ingredients, don´t freak out at all the butter and cream, and bacon. This is not something you have everyday, it's a special meal, so enjoy it. With that said, I used skim milk (that's what we drink) and only cream, as half and half, is something we don't have here. I used four cups skim milk, two cups cream, and it was rich and delicious. The days are getting shorter, darker and colder, it's the perfect time to make this clam chowder. It's easy, creamy and delicious, and I promise you will love it!








1  large carrot, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 large potato, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1/2 pound bacon, minced
1/2 cup butter
3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
16 ounces clam juice
1 1/2 C flour
2 C milk
2 C Heavy whipping cream
2 C half and half
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 pound clam, chopped (fresh, frozen, or canned)
*salt to taste

Cook bacon, set aside. To the bacon drippings add the butter. Next add the vegetables and sauté them over medium heat until tender. When vegetables are tender, add flour to make a roux. Cook for a couple minutes, allowing flour to cook. Add clam juice and dairy products. Stir by using a wire whip. Add fresh garlic, black pepper, cooked bacon (save some bacon for toppings) and chopped clams. Cook over low-medium heat stirring occasionally to prevent chowder from scorching. Cook for a couple hours until chowder is brought to desired thickness. ( Mine was really thick in under an hour) Clam juice can be added to thin chowder down if it gets too thick.  Chowder needs to be stirred often, probably about every 10-15 minutes or so, or it will stick to the bottom of the pot. Serve in bowls, or bread bowls for a special treat!

notes:
* taste and add salt at the end, as bacon can be salty, and the clam brine too
* our bacon here is not very fat, so I don't get to much drippings, if you have a pan full of bacon fat, after cooking it, use only about 3or four tablespoons of it
* I use 4 cups skim milk, 2 cups cream
* I like to add chopped parsley at the end
* I have to use frozen baby clams, canned isn't available here, defrosting them before hand, and saving the juices, for the 2 cups of liquid
* I really think you could use olive oil instead of butter
*use a large pot, and one that has a thick bottom, I use my cast iron pot



recipe source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie