Fruit Cocktail Cake

This is an old-fashioned cake recipe, made with a surprise ingredient...a can of fruit cocktail. I bet you have a can forgotten somewhere in your pantry, right now. When I was growing up,  my mom would  sometimes serve fruit cocktail for dessert. I always tried to scoop out extra cherries into my bowl. Sadly, there were never enough of those bright red cherries in the can..I wonder why? Anywho... by adding a whole can of fruit into the batter, the syrup too, you do not add any fat to the mix.   Now there may not be any fat in the cake,  but the scrumptious butter sauce is another story!  This cake is so delicious and easy to make!I promise you, this will become a family favorite.







2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar ( I like brown sugar)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1  can fruit cocktail with juice (840g)
2 cups flour

Sauce
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk/ cream/ evaporated milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Instructions
To make cake: Beat eggs. Add all ingredients, except flour, and mix. Add flour and mix again.
Grease a 9 x 13” pan or a bundt pan and pour in mixture. Bake at 180/ 350F for 45 minutes.

To make sauce: Heat sugar, milk and butter in saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour over hot cake. (Makes a lot, but use all of it! The cake will absorb it.)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie