Potato Gnocchi

 For dinner last night, I made some delicious home made gnocchi.  Can I just come out and say that, gnocchi makes me happy! They are like tiny soft, fluffy, billowy pillows, that hold sauce beautifully....I bet you just smiled! Gnocchi  is a small Italian pasta/dumpling, made with either potato, ricotta, or semolina. Traditionally made by hand by rolling the dough into ropes which are then cut into "pillows" and then each pillow is rolled onto a board to make ridges. These ridges can also be made by using a fork ( I filmed a little video, see below), although you can just leave the little pillows be, the ridges help them absorb sauce. These are easy to make, just give yourself some time. No rushing, turn on the radio, pour yourself some wine, and be patient. The main ingredient in anything home made, is love, so no need to be perfect, for it to be delicious ! My family absolutely loved the gnocchi, not a single one left over, technically the bowl I made myself in the afternoon, could have been leftovers, but the cook always deserves a treat !













1 ½ pounds russet potatoes ( 700 grams)
¾ teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ cup flour, plus more if necessary


-Place potatoes in a large pot. Fill with water and 1 tablespoon salt, make sure the potatoes are covered by two –three inches.
-Bring to a boil and then reduce to a medium-high heat, cook until potatoes are soft and can be pierced with a fork.
-Peel potatoes and half potatoes. Put each half in a ricer, and push potato through. Repeat with the rest of the potatoes.
-Spread the potatoes out on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and cool for 1 hour.
-Once the potatoes are cool, pile in rectangular mound. (I used a bowl)
-Pour eggs over potatoes and sprinkle with 1 cup of flour. Using your hands slowly incorporate all the ingredients.
-Once all the ingredients are incorporated, gently knead dough until smooth. DO NOT OVERKNEAD.
-Divide the dough into four quarters. Using your hands, roll each quarter into a rope, about ½ inch thick. Use flour as needed.
-Using a sharp knife, cut into gnocchi, they should be about ½ inch apart. The gnocchi should form a rectangular shape (tiny pillow) when cut.
-Using the tines of a fork, place the middle gently on the cut side of the gnocchi and roll forward towards the ends of the tine.
-To cook the gnocchi: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season liberally with salt. Add gnocchi in and cook for 7-8 minutes. When they start to float, they are done !
Serve with a favorite  sauce.

**** below is my video, showing how to use a fork to make the ridges

recipe source



Um vídeo publicado por @azoresgal a

Comments

  1. I like your fork method. When my neighbor taught me, she used a wooden ridged board that I found very hard to use, and I don't have one, anyway. I need to make this using her recipe and post it sometime, just haven't gotten around to it! I will use the fork method, I think. Looks simple to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Alcatra de Carne

Lapas Grelhadas- Grilled Limpets

Fannie Farmer's Apple Pie